Golf cart battery technology is rapidly developing, and golf cart manufacturers are gradually leaning toward using LiFePO4 batteries. What are the advantages of upgrading golf cart batteries from lead acid to lithium iron phosphate? we mainly analyze lithium golf cart batteries and lead-acid battery maintenance. LiFePO4 battery lithium batteries are maintenance-free and more cost-effective than lead acid batteries, especially considering the life, depth of charge and discharge, etc. Lead-acid batteries do not have built-in BMS, which means that lead-acid batteries do not have thermal runaway protection, which is risky. Thermal runaway can seriously damage the battery. In the current golf cart market, the 48v LiFePO4 battery is popular compared to the lead-acid battery, which is maintenance-free, cost-effective, compatible, high-performance, and safe!
Golf cart lead-acid battery use status :
The market survey found that lead-acid batteries in golf carts generally decline significantly after 1-2 years of use, resulting in much shorter service life and expensive replacement costs. Factors affecting the service life include the depth of discharge and battery sulfation. The deeper the discharge depth, the faster the lead-acid batteries aging be. The causes of lead-acid battery sulphation include deep discharge, undercharge, long shelving without use, etc. Sulfuration reduces the performance and life of lead-acid batteries.
Maintenance work of lead-acid battery:
- When the golf cart is stored in a state of power loss, the battery is prone to sulfation. And the lead sulfate particles on the exterior of the battery’s pole plate will gradually grow, blocking the electric ion channel, causing insufficient charging, and finally leading to a decrease in capacity. If idle is not used, start the golf cart once a month, and give it regular charging.
- It should be recharged in time when it shows insufficient power and excessive discharge is prohibited. If there is inadequate power at the course, you can use the battery on other vehicles to start the vehicle.
- Use a special charger to charge, place the golf cart in a cool and ventilated place, and avoid high temperature and humidity.
- High current discharge is prohibited to avoid the crystallization of lead sulfate and damage to the battery plates. Excessive discharge will also lead to a permanent reduction of active material and a permanent decrease in battery capacity.
- The average charging time is around 8 hours. Control the battery charging time to avoid overcharging water loss and battery heating, which will reduce the battery life. The water evaporation and imbalance of electrolyte concentration will also lead to the function of charging and discharging and capacity decline. Therefore, water should replenish regularly to prevent the battery from being short of water and affecting its use.
- Regularly overhaul the battery, if the range suddenly decreases, you can send it to the repair institution for inspection and repair.
Lithium golf cart battery use status:
Keeping good lithium golf cart battery use habits is very effective in extending the life of the lithium battery pack. Use the right method to slow down its aging. Lithium golf cart batteries do not require maintenance, while lead-acid batteries require regular inspection and maintenance. Using 48v LiFePO4 battery packs for golf carts ultimately saves working hours and reduces the cost of maintenance tools and products. In addition to this, it is safe and environmentally friendly by avoiding chemical leaks. Whether you use a lead-acid or LiFePO4 battery, any golf cart faces the same situation: they must charge and charging takes time. Golf carts need to maintain power and speed on course terrain.
48v lithium battery golf cart are perfectly suited to the range and power required by golf carts, but lead-acid batteries will slow down a cart when the voltage drops. In addition, regular lead-acid batteries take about eight hours to charge fully. The LiFePO4 battery charge to 80 percent capacity in about an hour and charges fully in less than three hours. Only partially charged lead-acid batteries suffer from sulfate damage, resulting in shorter service life. The 48v LiFePO4 battery has no adverse effect on a full charge. LiFePO4 batteries take significantly less time to charge fully, thus reducing energy consumption and containing no harmful substances. The lithium chemistry increases the number of charging cycles and the battery life is longer. The upfront cost of a 48v LiFePO4 battery may be high, but the maintenance and frequent replacement of lead-acid batteries requires a lot of money. LiFePO4 batteries are maintenance-free, have a long service life, reduce electricity costs, and are cost-recovered within the use period.